Friday, March 05, 2010

Letter from Sugarbears Head Coach Jamie Olson






Greetings to all of the Sugarbears!


I am excited to meet all of the parents and swimmers over the next few months. Swimming has been a part of my life for many years and I have been involved in the sport as an athlete, a teacher, and a coach.

As a swimmer, I competed on a year round team called the Barracuda Aquatics of the Monterey Peninsula for many years. I also was fortunate to swim for the Yokohama Sailfish team in Japan for three years from the age of seven until I was ten. Our family moved to Japan as a result of my dad’s new position in the U.S. Navy. When I returned back to the United States I continued to swim for the Barracudas. In high school, I competed at Carmel High School in both swimming and water polo. After high school, I competed at Chabot College and trained with the UC Berkeley swim team. After college I continued to swim in a masters swim program and as a triathlete.

My first experience as a swimming instructor was when I was a junior in high school and I continued to teach swimming for many years. My coaching career began in 1984 when I became the assistant coach for the Barracuda Aquatics of the Monterey Peninsula. I continued to coach for the Barracudas for the next six years. Then in 1992 I moved to Sacramento to obtain my teaching credential and this is when I started coaching swimming in the Sacramento area. My first position was the assistant swim coach at Valley High School. Then in 1996 I became the Head Coach at Foothill High School for three years. During this time I also was the Head Coach for the summer league team called the Foothill Fliers. Currently, I coach the Oakmont High School Swim Team where I am the head coach of the varsity boys swim team and before becoming the head coach I was the assistant for three years.

Apart from swimming, I can call Roseville my home. I moved to Roseville from Fair Oaks in 2007 after getting married to Sheri Turner who subsequently became Sheri Olson. Both of us enjoy the Roseville community and live in Old Roseville in a 1930 home. My hobbies include enjoying the great outdoors, traveling, reading history, and competing in endurance races. My wife and I both love to camp and we look forward to taking a trip to Europe sometime in the near future.

In closing, as the swimming season rapidly approaches I look forward to getting to know the swimmers, parents, and coaches and working together to make the 2010 season a success.

See you on the pool deck,

Coach Jamie
GO SUGARBEARS!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home